Saturday, April 4, 2009

Abeka Bali Batya?

So everytime I get to the internet cafe I get a huge blank about what I should write. I guess I will begin by teling you a little bit about Kampala to give you an idea about a big city over here in Uganda. Kampala is Ugandas largest city and reminds me of what I imagine Detroit would be like. HA. Sort of run down, crammed full of people, really busy, and really dirty. Exciting ya? The strangest thing about Kampala is that there are these Massive birds that have come from some forest and set up camp in the trees there. This might not be so strange if they didnt have nests the size of bathtubs. And if they didn't rummage through garbage like vultures. And if they didnt swoop unbearbly close to your head. The are stork-like birds with a pouch under their beak, presumably for catching fish though I think they only eat rubbish. I would put their wing-span at atleast 6 feet. Bizarre.

Last weekend was my first of three birthdays in Africa :) My mom here asked me to invite all of my friends over so we had a big get together in my "backyard". We made pasta, fruit salad, and this wonderful creation called Chipati Delight which consists of chipati, bananas, sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate. Basically the most calorie laden thing per bite that you could possibly eat besides straight lard. And it was delicious. Friends made me no bake cookies and my family here got me flip-flops and earrings, so sweet. It was nice to be able to celebrate here, but I never really saw myself turning 23. It just seems too old! Thanks for all of the birthday wishes! On my actual birthday we got to go to the American Ambassadors house here in Uganda. He has a pool and connections with the local pizza place, so I was in heaven.

Anyways, I have started running here after taking a four week hiatus. I was a huge crab apple during that time and realized that I should have never taken the break in the first place, but now I am back on track so no worries. This leads up to my next story about running on the road near my house. Everyone here thinks running is rediculous, and technically for them it is because they expend so many calories hauling water, walking to school, etc. that they can barely make up for it, but for me it is obviously my sanity. So I was running the other day with my ipod in trying to stay in the zone and came upon a group of high school boys who were walking home from school. I had been harrassed, made fun of, and screamed Muzungu at for the first 15 minutes of my run without cracking my focus but these boys were being especially obnoxious. Then one starts running in front of me acting like a high-schooler (of all things) and then runs with me. At this point I am a fairly frustrated but keeping my cool by jamming out to Beyonce. I pass him, but at some point am forced to turn around and head back to my house. As I pass him on the way home he does the same thing and refuses to stop immitating me so I made a swift push with my left shoulder that left him stunned (and maybe faltered his step a bit). :) He was embaressed by this, so he got up and began chasing after me in a dead sprint. I bolted and managed to outrun him until he gave up. I then realized that I should probably not let things get to me as much and letting things go is a positive thing, especially in a country in which one is trying to assimilate... but atleast it was a good sprint workout.

We spent this morning learning how to make a fuel-efficient cook stove. It is a possibility for a secondary project and it was very interesting to learn. We started by gathering dirt, water, grass and the stem of a banana tree and worked diligently for 4 hours to create a fuel efficient cook stove for one of the host families. It was so rewarding to actually use our hands to create something that will be useful in the community.

Things are beginning to wrap up in training. We find out our sites in about 10 days, then take our final language test and swear in as official Peace Corps Volunteers. I am so excited to find out where my final placement will be, but a bit hesitant because it will mean leaving all of my amazing friends and really being on my own for the first time. They tell us that we will spend the first couple of months in our community just simply getting our bearings and meeting people. We will have our house to clean, organizations to meet, and people to visit. I cant even wait! What I also can't wait for is MAIL?!?!?!?! Though it may seem small to all of you people with regular internet access, electricity, running water, TV, Newpapers... Let me assure you it is not. Send me mail! Send me an empty letter for all I care, just so long as I know that you took the time to spend 94 cents and think about me :) But, if you do get the urge I updated my wish list with some really cheap things you can send me that I can't get in country.(Actually my list wouldnt update on this slow internet so here are some other things I would love to get: GUM (anykind), Ketchup packets, Mustard Packets, Ranch packets, Velveeta shells and cheese cheese, News, Crosswords, etc.) This entry is entitled "Abeka Bali Batya?" Which means "How are the people at home?" I would love to hear how you are all doing, what life is like at home, and what new things are happening, or what is not changing at all. Thanks and I love you all.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to write me an e mail please dont write it to my school account anymore because my password expired and I can't reset it from here. The e mail address that I check is as follows:

ambercommer@gmail.com

Thanks

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so happy you could spend your birthday across the world with people who care about you. it sounds like your family there really loves you. and pizza/pool party!? i'd be in heaven too.

glad you're running again. it's important to you, and in times of change we need to know what keeps us happy and productive. just stay out of trouble, and don't try shoving any wildebeasts!

all my love. sarah xxxx

Kara Siefker said...

Oh you... glad you had a great birthday. Mine was weird without you here... as well as Headbangers -- but my MEGANS from CA came to visit. I will be writing to tell you all about it. The running story had me worried, you little shit, but I am glad you are getting back into it. Makes me think I should head to the gym right now... it's sleating and snowing outside. Ick. I miss you and I hope you're being careful and enjoying life. I love you...

Abby :) said...

I love reading your blog!! It is so great to hear about all of your adventures. And I am so glad you had a great bday!! WOO HOO :) Keep us posted with everything that has been going on. It is truly inspiring to hear all about it.

Be The Change is going awesome :) Whenever I know a final amount of money raised, I will let you know. We did community service this week on campus and are having a big brothers/big sisters event next week. Wish you could be here for it!!

Take care. Love you!

abby :)

ATLAS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.