Monday, July 19, 2010

money, money, money

I’ve asked myself many times in moments of frustration, “Do these people even want to become a developed country, because it doesn’t seem like it to me.” As I look back at this thought a few things come to mind. First, I do believe that Ugandans as a whole would like to see their country more developed. Secondly, normally when this question comes to mind it is in relation to money matters. I have recognized many scenarios that we as Americans have a very hard time understanding, but are extremely commonplace here in Uganda. They simply have different ideas about money. I am currently reading a book called African Friends and Money Matters, which covers the differences in thoughts on finances from the perspective of the west and of Africa. Below I have mentioned personal scenarios that are incredibly frustrating to me, but were easily explained by the book. (After reading this book I kind of wanted to do a book report. Ha. So I guess this is a short summary)

Scenario #1 (from an American perspective): I am walking down the street and a small child comes up to me and says, “Give me 100 shillings.” Not even seconds later an old grandma approaches me and tells me she wants my book. And before I make it home I have been petitioned by at least 2 people for a flight to America. I am fuming because I am sick of being the “white person” who has come to Africa to give people things. The fact of the matter is I don’t give any of these people what they ask for.

Answer #1 (from an African perspective): There are many ways to describe why this scenario occurs. The first is that people are eager to start conversations. In Ugandan culture, conversation is imperative. You always greet and stand around for at least a few minutes to talk about life, family, etc. If someone doesn’t know you but wants to begin a conversation, asking for something is a totally appropriate way to do so. You get the best response if you banter back with them and ask them for something, therefore continuing the conversation. Another reason someone may ask for something is to give an indirect compliment (that is what the grandma was doing). She was admiring my book, but was unable to express it in a straightforward way. It is better here to tip-toe quietly around things than to hit the nail on the head. An appropriate response would be for me to say, “ I have to keep this book, but I will read it to you.” Or to ask her to give me something of hers.

Scenario #2 (from the American perspective): I go to the market to buy onions. Because I am white, they automatically assume I have money and therefore charge me a higher price. When I ask them why they always charge me more even though I know the price, they often say, “Well... you have more money than we do.” Even though this statement is true, it does not make the situation any less frustrating.

Answer #2 (from the African perspective): For things here there are two prices, the poor man and the rich mans prices. According to the book I am reading, it is based on the persons ability to pay (not on race, though race often correlates with that scale in Uganda). Because everything is equal and communal, if one person has more money than another they should be willing to pay that person a higher price than someone who does not have as much money. In theory this one makes total sense, in practice it makes me livid.


Scenario #3 (from the American perspective): My Ugandan friend Adrian told me that his church wanted to learn how to save money. I proceeded to go to one of their bible studies and explain the idea of a savings association. Everything went perfect for a good 4 weeks. Then, when it was time to talk about just how much we would save each week and the punishments for not saving, etc. everyone seemed to become hesitant. After some discussion they admitted that the 500 shillings (25 cents) we were trying to save every two weeks was too much for them. Now these people live in poverty, but not that bad!! They explained that during harvest season they could probably save upwards of 2000 shillings, but when it was planting time they needed to use all of their money to plant and there was none left over. They truthfully said that there were weeks when they had absolutely NO cash at all. I said that if they didn’t want to learn how to stretch their money and budget then we couldn’t do the association. They decided they didn’t want the association.

Answer #3 (from an African perspective): There are many reasons that the above scenario occurred. #1- I was trying to put a valued American idea into a culture that did not value it. #2- If a Ugandan needs money, they borrow it from friends and family. I have come to believe this is actually a very important part of society. It requires that people be reliant on one another. The giver gets the satisfaction of helping while the recipient is able to do what they had planned. Being a personal saver not only doesn’t allow you to give, but it takes away the option for you to receive as well. #3- Because of the nature of living in Uganda, these people have been accustomed to not assuming what is here today will be here tomorrow. It’s a survival technique that has gotten them through many hard times. If they start assuming that every week they will have 500 shillings, they begin to put pressure on themselves. They truly believe that the future is uncertain, and for good reason, it is. If there crops fail and they are unable to pay, then required to pay a fee.... its not the idea that they can’t pay the money, but the idea that they are letting the group down which will probably cause the most shame.

Scenario #4 (from an American perspective): In my community, people are always running out of things. They don’t have enough tomatoes for dinner. They don’t have enough airtime for a phone call. They don’t have enough sugar for porridge. It drives me batty because if they would just plan well enough they could have enough of all these things.

Answer #4 (from an African perspective): Here in Uganda, whats mine is yours and whats yours is mine. If I have something and you want to use it, see it, keep it, it would be rude of me to say otherwise. For this fact alone people are unable to keep large quantities of anything in their house. If their friends or families were to come over and see they had a whole basket of tomatoes, they would not only be forced to give them out if they asked, but to be polite would probably do so without asking. So keeping small amounts of things in the house is one way that Ugandans practice saving and planning. ☺ It is more important in this culture to share things than to have things. If someone has something and they are unwilling to share, they are seen as rude and as not being a team player.

Scenario #5 (from an American perspective): The guard at my school mentions one day that he is looking to buy a bike. I tell him that I will sell mine to him but he will have to name a good price. He does so and I accept the offer. I tell him he can have my bike tomorrow if he brings the money. He thinks for a minute and says, “Okay, but I must first go and find the money.” They are constantly saying this line, as though money grows on trees and they have to go pick it or something. I asked him, “Do you have the money saved?” He says a definite no and that he will either find the money soon or let me know. Argh.

Answer #5 (from the African perspective): In Uganda, budgeting, planning, saving are all considered silly. People do not know what will happen tomorrow, so why should they plan for it. If they fall sick, their family will help them. If their friend falls sick, they will help their friend. If someone needs a loan, they will go to their neighbors to borrow (banks have outrageous fees here). This is where the phrase “I must find the money” comes from. They are literally going to their neighbors, friends and relatives to ask them for money. This is yet another reason that Ugandans don’t save: If you save your money, sooner or later someone will need it more than you will and you will be forced to give it up.... or be shunned from the community. And there is great joy that comes from sharing what we have with other people. Ugandans are some of the most giving people I have ever met.

Scenario #6 (from an American perspective): Students at school know exactly how much it will cost for a term, but they don’t bring enough money. They are allowed to study without paying full fees for a few weeks and then sent home (which costs money in transport) to get the money. After a few weeks at home, (of which they have missed class) they get the money, pay for transport back to school and begin classes again. Why can’t they just plan ahead if they know how much money it will cost.... in the end it will save them the cost of transport and education!!

Answer #6 (from an African perspective): Ugandans do sometimes plan for the payments they will have to make in the future. But, there is an idea in this culture that whoever needs it first gets it first. It doesn’t matter if I have been saving for 4 years for my sons college. If my grandmother is sick and needs the money, prior to my son going to college, then I am obliged by culture to give it to her. Not only does this cause me to lose the money I saved, but it also causes me to use money when I have it so other people cannot use it. There is a common theme throughout Uganda as well as the idea that resources are to be used, not saved. It is not shameful for your child to come home to get school fees, and there is no point in planning ahead because someone else is bound to need the money first.


This excerpt from the book sort of sums up everything written above. Though it is a bit general, I feel like it speaks for most of the people I have met in Uganda:
“Africans do not want to be independent or autonomous. They want to live in interdependent community. They want to share material goods- both receiving and giving- with those near them. People are generous with others, materially sharing with them and making allowances for their faults and weaknesses.”

Growing up in America has afforded us many things, and one of them is the way we look at money. It’s hard not to place all of our ideals about saving, accountability, use of money, etc. on other people, especially when we believe that our way is the best way. Looking at other cultures and finding the root of why they believe what they believe is the first step in really seeing that two people are capable of solving the same problem two totally different ways. And that one solution may work great for one person and fail miserably for the other. Just some food for thought. ☺

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Hi Amber. I am in the August 2010 PC Uganda group. I was wondering if I could post this blog entry on the facebook page for our group? I think the information you articulate in your blog post would be extremely helpful for future and current volunteers alike.

-Bryan

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott in Kansas City said...

Speaking of "money, money, money"....How can I donate to your cause(s)?