Thursday, February 12, 2009

Beginning the Journey

I left this morning, early. I knew it would be difficult to leave everyone, but puking before I got on the plane was the red flag for my true emotions. Bleary-eyed I stepped into this new life. Hope it goes well.

Last week was a blast. Everyone that I am close to came into town for one last good-bye. Its funny how people make time for you when you are leaving, comforting at least. I said goodbye to Alicia and she asked to borrow a few things while I was gone, Winter things of course. I didn’t think it would be a problem considering a majority of my friends have called dibs on my leg warmers and Gap blazers. Sayonara cold weather. She came down the stairs with my 4 favorite scarves wrapped around her arm, and my stomach dropped. I stood their contemplating whether I could see her walk out of the house with the things I “loved”, and decided that it was a little too much to bear. She took two and will come back for the others later, when I am not there to blubber-on about how they are my favorites and I loved wearing them. Hope I get over that while I am here. The whole loving things act doesn’t do too much for me, but it is still something that I am working on.

I love doing my hair. I love going out for Pad Thai. I love putting on make-up and heels, and getting a drink with friends. I love going out for coffee. I love getting new jeans. But how much love can you put into things? And how important is it to give those things all away to see what you are capable of becoming? I guess by the end of this I will know the answers to both of those questions.

I am sitting in Philadelphia right now, getting ready to meet the people who I will be friends with for the next two years. It’s a strange mix of excitement and hesitation, wonderment and fear. It’s sort of a beautiful thing that I love to feel.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way, supported me in this decision and aided me in getting ready (both physically and emotionally)! I wish you all the best of luck in these next two years, please stay in touch. I love you all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are on your way, welcome new life!!!! You are going to conquer many things Amber, both personally and environmentally. I want to hear about each, no matter how minuscule it may seem to you. And I am here cheering you on each and everyday!! I love you, go girl!!

Sarah said...

Well done, Amber! This is going to be such a fantastic adventure for you. Make sure to keep us up to date--I don't care how far away you have to walk. Get a rogue motorbiker to drop you off at the nearest internet cafe and write write write! Ohh, and you know, you can write with pencils too. Enjoy everyday and continue to be the strong and loving person we all know you are!

xxx

aunt ilene said...

Congrats Amber! I feel I'm watching a new Universe unfold, called Amber. Know that you are loved every moment.

KC Cajun said...

Bon Voyage Amber! I am so proud of you and your adventure. Ann and I will follow you here.

Carleton

Kara Siefker said...

OOOOh woman... you are on your way!! Because I am selfish, all I want to tell you is to make sure to make time to write ALL the time, but I am so excited for you to go out there and experience everything this place has to offer. I am your biggest fan, as silly as that sounds... and I believe in you more than you know! Soak it all in... i love you!