Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hello from Uganda!

Hey everyone!!
So I knew internet would be scarce, but I assumed that it might be a little less scarce then it actually is. :) I am in Kampala at an internet cafe, but tomorrow I head to my homestay wher eI will be place for 2 months.

There are 32 Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) in my group. Ranging from my age to their mid 60's. It has been great to get to know everyone so far. It seems that we all enjoy many of the same things, reading, running, playing cards, so I don't feel too far from home. The weather here is beautiful... all day... everyday. 75 degrees with a mild amount of humidity today. The Peace Corps coordinators are great and they seem to be very excited to have us here. The Ugandans themselves are incredibly hospitable, I can't even wait to get into my homestay to be able to see what it is really like to live here.

I dress in long skirts everyday, much longer than at home. Today I put on a dress that is right at the knee and felt immodest, I really dont think I will wear it teaching. I specifically remember my mom buying this dress for me and complaining that I looked homely because of its length. Funny how perceptions change. The food here is wonderful and it is not difficult at all to be vegetarian. There are tons of fresh fruit and vegetables and they are served at every meal. Fish is offered about once a day. Tilapia from Lake Victoria! Yummy.

Well, my time is almost up here at this internet cafe. Please stay in touch, it means the world to me. I will try to update this as often as I can, but I forsee many challenges.

I love you and miss you all.

7 comments:

scrappymolly said...

So glad to hear from you! I'm glad that everything is going well for you! We miss you already!

Sarah said...

hooray! i'm glad to hear you're safe and having a good time. best of luck on your journey and the next two months with your host family. miss you loads! xxx

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU BABY!!!! It is great to hear all the positive news. So happy things are going well.Hello to your new Uganda family and tons of love from your Kansas City family. Love you and miss you. :) :) Hugs and kisses from MOM and DAD and Sandy :)!

Anonymous said...

Love to hear from you Amber, and SOOO glad internet is more available than you had excepted :):):) It's funny because the first time I read it I interperted it incorrectly to say that is was more scarce than you had excepted- when that is what I thought it said, my heart was crying. But it is better now :)

Love you and I know you look beautiful in your dresses!!

Unknown said...

Oh my... you are really there, glad you are safe, warm and happy! I can say that 75 degrees sounds really good right now! I will think of you on my morning run in the Missouri COLD! Love you lots... plan on letting the boys see your blog... always something new to learn! XO Cousin Julie

Anonymous said...

Love you--Scrabs :)

Kara Siefker said...

OOOH woman... so glad to hear these good things :) Makes me miss you terribly. Enjoy every second, i love you!