Sunday, December 12, 2010

Home?!?!


Loving on my family!!
Time with friends!
Some of the best people I know!

I was able to be in the wedding of one of my all time best friends, Jennifer Cantrell!!

Sitting in my house on my first day back in Uganda and trying to think of the perfect word to describe exactly how I feel right now.... contented is good, but then it seems as though I am settling for something, elated might be it, but that makes it seem as though I am not happy in America.  I’ve got it.... whole.  Whole is the perfect word to describe exactly how I feel right now.

I feel whole because I just spent 3 weeks loving on some of my favorite people and now I get to spend a whole lot more time loving on some more of my favorite people here in Uganda. 

It was interesting being home.  There were hundreds of times when I had to just stop for a minute to be able to actualize the fact that both the world I live in in Uganda and the one in America do exist at the same time.  I absolutely LOVED being home.  I surprised the heck out of my parents and friends, sharing a lot of tears and laughter.  I was able to visit friends at a football game and be in the wedding of my best friend.  After my time in the States I was lucky enough to head over to London for a week to see Sarah and Taylor.  London was amazing and it was even better being there with two of my favorite people.

Spending time with the wonderful Nichols family.

Sarah and I, in the london snow!

In the end, I wasn’t as overwhelmed as I thought I would be, but I think that is simply because I knew I was coming back to Uganda.  One thing that did blow my mind was how much time we spend buying things in America: groceries, clothes, books, going out to eat, gifts, gas, etc.  It seems as thought Americans spend most of their days working, and when they aren’t working they are spending the money that they just made.  I’m not necessarily saying it’s a terrible thing, but I do find that there are many more important things we could be doing with our day that we don’t seem to be doing:  seeing our family, helping our neighbors, enjoying the outdoors, reading, visiting friends.

As I flew back into Uganda I was truly worried that I would be shocked again by the unorganization and poverty that is Uganda, but I can truly say that I saw neither of those things.  Yes, people stand to close in line and everything is both late and difficult.... but, a random stranger gave me a ride home from the airport.  My neighbors came over to greet me.  Baby Dan and family screamed at my arrival and I was greeted with grasshoppers.  All of these things are important, but oftentimes we forget about their importance.  I can truthfully say I am happy to be back in my home, with the warm weather and my ka-dog.

No comments: