Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vocation School


My students in the salon, learning how to cut hair.

In October (as I was preparing my surprise trip back to the States) we had the grand opening of the Vocational School for Children with Special Needs.  This project was made possible by so many generous gifts from the wonderful people in the States, as well as a very large contribution from the Primary School for the deaf.  It was an exciting time because all of the parents of the children, as well as Peace Corps staff and volunteers were invited to attend.


Two of my students, learning how to make chapatti.

The day went well, with speeches, giving of gifts and raising money to transport our books back to the school.  The parents raised 98,000 UGsh.  Which is comparable to $45, a whole lot of money in this country.  We were able to walk the parents through the school and show them all of the work their children had been doing: hairdressing, tailoring, cooking, and making handy crafts.  The parents were so amazed by their childrens abilities and were incredibly supportive and thankful for the idea. It was by far the best moment I have had yet in Uganda.  I think this is the first time I have felt I achieved the Peace Corps first goal of training the local people to support themselves. 

Tablecloths the students made themselves after only a week of training. We are selling these to sustain the project, let me know if you want a set!! (Only 15$ per set of 6)

I know that the school is going to be a place that will allow deaf children to create a future for themselves.  They will learn and master a trade and then be able to take it to the community where they can be productive members of society.  I want to send a big thank you out to everyone who made this day possible... I love you all!

One of the 5 sewing machines purchased for the school.

No comments: